Customers also use the internet to obtain information about Webserver How to attacks on Webserver and purchase goods and services. Many organizations have websites to help them achieve this goal. Most websites save sensitive data like credit card numbers, email addresses, and passwords. As a result, they have become targets for attackers. Defaced websites may be used to spread religious or political agendas, among other things.
what is a webserver
A webserver is computer software and the underlying hardware that accepts requests via HTTP, the network protocol created to distribute web pages or its secure variant HTTPS.
Web server attack tools
Some of the common web server attack tools include;
Metasploit– this is an open-source tool for developing, testing, and using exploit code. It can be used to discover vulnerabilities in web servers and write exploits that can be used to compromise the server.
MPack– this is a web exploitation tool. It was written in PHP and is backed by MySQL as the database engine. Once a web server has been compromised using MPack, all traffic to it is redirected to malicious download websites.
Zeus– this tool can be used to turn a compromised computer into a bot or zombie. A bot is a compromised computer that is used to perform internet-based attacks. A botnet is a collection of compromised computers. The botnet can then be used in a denial of service attack or sending spam emails.
Neosplit – this tool can be used to install programs, delete programs, replicating it, etc.
Web Server Attacks types
- DOS attack: An attacker could launch a denial of service attack by flooding the web server’s servicing capacity with service request packets, or he could try to exploit a programming error in the application to launch a DOS attack.
E.g. buffer overflow attack, SYN flooding, HTTP get Request Flooding, Ping of death.
- Website Defacement: To deface the website, SQL injection attacks are used. When an attacker discovers that input fields have not been properly sanitized, he may use SQL strings to create a malicious query that is executed by the web browser. He may store malicious/unrelated data in the database, causing the website to display irrelevant data when it is requested, resulting in a defaced website.
- Directory Traversal: This is a vulnerability in which an attacker may gain access to the application’s web root directory. If he has access to directories other than the webroot directory, he may run OS commands and obtain confidential information or gain access to restricted directories.
- Misconfiguration attacks: Since verbose/error information is not masked if unnecessary services are allowed or default configuration files are used, an attacker can compromise the web server using various attacks such as password cracking, error-based SQL injection, Command Injection, and so on.
- Phishing Attack: An attacker can give a victim a malicious connection in an email that appears to be legitimate but redirects them to a malicious website, stealing their data.
Other web application attacks, such as parameter type tampering, cookie tampering, unvalidated inputs, SQL injection, and buffer overflow attacks, can all lead to a web server assault.
How to avoid attacks on Webserver
An organization can adopt the following policy to protect itself against web server attacks.
- Patch management involves installing patches to help secure the server. A patch is an update that fixes a bug in the software. The patches can be applied to the operating system and the webserver system.
- Secure installation and configuration of the operating system
- Secure installation and configuration of the webserver software
- Vulnerability scanning system – these include tools such as Snort, NMap, Scanner Access Now Easy (SANE)
- Firewalls can be used to stop simple DoS attacks by blocking all traffic coming from the identified source IP addresses of the attacker.
- Antivirus software can be used to remove malicious software on the server
- Disabling Remote Administration
- Default accounts and unused accounts must be removed from the system
- Default ports & settings (like FTP at port 21) should be changed to custom port & settings (FTP port at 5069)